For a long time, noodles meant only Maggi at our household. I somehow wanted to overcome this so that the little girl will also get to know the existence of other kind of noodles especially Chinese ones.
It took a long time for me to master the art of cooking noodles with the right texture and prepare it in Chinese style. Hence, sharing the joy with you all..
Veg noodles – 1 packet (the one I use is Ching’s secret Hakka Veg noodles)
Onion – 1 medium
Peppers – red/green/orange/yellow (whatever color that you could get) – 1/2 or 1/4 of each based on noodles quantity
Mushrooms – optional
Carrots – optional
Cabbage – optional
Soy sauce – 1 spoon
Red chilli sauce – 1 spoon
Crushed red chilli flakes – 1 spoon
Spring onion – handful (optional)
Olive Oil – 2 to 3 spoons (vegetable oil also works well)
Salt – to taste
1. Boil water in a large pan. Add noodles, little salt and cook it for 5 minutes or as per the instructions given in your noodles pocket. I am famous for over cooking the noodles so these days I keep a timer and switch it off in 5 or 7 minutes.
2. Drain the excess water, toss it with a spoon of oil and allow it to cool down.
3. Meanwhile, saute the vegetables one by one. I have made this with only onion and mushrooms so no need to worry if you miss any vegetable.
4. Once the veggies are half cooked (its better to leave them little crunchy) add the soy sauce, red chilli sauce and chilli flakes. If you plan to share this with kiddies then chilli flakes can be added later while serving.
5. Add salt and allow it to cook for another 5 minutes.
6. Simmer the stove, add the cooled down noodles and mix it up with the vegetables using two forks. Ladle mixing doesn’t work well for me. I prefer to toss and mix them with two forks so that the noodles doesn’t break and they get mixed with the veggies evenly.
7. Cook in simmer for another 2 or 3 minutes until the noodles are warmed up.
8. Garnish with spring onions (again this is optional. I rarely do this).
Chinese style Veg noodles is ready to serve.
Scrambled eggs can be added before serving to make it a Chinese egg veg noodles.