There she asked last evening “Amma is it true that once you grow older your pee turns into blood and you have to use pads to save your dress???”
It took me few seconds to respond but I am glad I handled it quite well instead of goofing up. It was totally an unexpected moment. I took a deep breath and said “Yes, its true though you may get it only for 3 to 4 days a month and its called menstruation”. With that we moved on to our own work. One of her schoolmate was the source for her.
Note to self and fellow mommies:
1. Don’t worry about how to initiate the talks rather prepare yourself to handle the questions at unexpected moment.
2. It makes it easier to talk about it as science and more importantly in not-a-big-deal tone.
3. Acknowledge and keep the talk brief. No matter what you do, the moment they raise the question give full attention to them and respond to all their questions briefly.
4. If you are not able to respond at that moment simply say “Yes, what you have heard is true but shall we talk about it after a while? Then, remember to talk about it when both are involved in some task like while folding clothes together or chatting in general. The child should be in a state of mind to ask more questions. Probably start with some general talk and then move on to the specific topic. Check with them if they want to talk about it before proceeding. Maintain the casual tone throughout the talk.
5. Don’t explain in detail unless they are ready to listen.
There could be better ways to handle this but these are my first hand experience. Hope this helps someone someday…
Adi doesn’t want me to kiss her in public and says “don’t embarrass me” if I call her by cute names or act weird in public. I am missing those days when simple yet weird acts like a swift dance move, a jump here and there, saying “yo-yo in rap style” made my girl laugh. Today they embarrass her. I don’t want my little girl to grow up so fast!!!!! I am not ready to accept her as a grown up yet.
IS THERE A WAY TO PAUSE THE TIME ONLY FOR MY GIRL?????
P.S: I am behind by few days on clearing my reader and responding to comments. Will get to it soon. I will also make a separate post on the fruit themed party. Thank you all for the birthday wishes to Adi…