Adi keeps nagging Amma to share all her recipes **rolls eyes** so I decided to post the recipes here as I try them with Amma’s guidance.
Tamarind pulp – 4 orange sized balls
Rice – 2 cups
mustard seeds – 1 spoon
urad dal – 2 spoons
channa dal – handful
Dry roast and grind
pepper – handful
jeera – handful
fenugreek seeds – 2 spoons
red chillies – 15 to 20 numbers
1. Soak tamarind pulp in warm water and extract the juice from it.
2. Saute the ingredients given under “To Temper” list.
3. Add Tamarind juice, turmeric powder, salt and allow it to cook.
4. After 5 mins, add the dry roast-ground masala powder.
5. Stir well and keep in simmer until the mix gets thicker in consistency.
6. Cool it down and store in a dry container. Can be stored in refrigerator for a month.
Tamarind rice preparation
1. Cook rice and allow it to cool down.
2. Roast peanuts in a tawa.
3. Add the roasted peanuts and a spoon of gingly oil to the cooked and cooled down rice.
4. Add the tamarind mix paste to cooked rice and mix well for a sumptuous Tamarind rice. Add the paste little by little and adjust it according to your taste.
5. Serve it with papad or pickle or potato fries or any kind of thugaiyal.