Thank you Vidhya for the food tag. You wouldn’t know how much helpful it is on days like today! Here is my chitti version 2.0 dot.
- What is the first dish that you cooked?
Hot water. What? I switched on the stove by myself, took cold water in a pot, placed it on the stove and checked every few minutes if it reached boiling state and then took the pot off the stove carefully. Jokes apart, I think it is rasam but the irony is I don’t make good rasam till this date.
- What is the first dish that you cooked for your better half? (If you are not married, you can tell us what you are planning to cook for him/her)?
Honestly I don’t remember. I stayed with my in-laws for 3 years after marriage and my mother-in-law used to cook. I act as that edupudi (help) cutting veggies and following her instructions. May be dosa/chapathi as usually I make them while she makes the subzi or rolls the chapathi. But, it is definitely a south Indian dish. I haven’t cooked anything special just for him as he is fine with anything I cook.
- Which food were you reserved to try first but then liked later it since you acquired the taste?
Brinjal. Until, few years ago I could not even taste test brinjal. Now, I love vangi bath. Its a big change for me!
- What is your comfort food?
Puli kuzhambu/Kara kuzhambu. I have just survived by eating only this with no veggies (plain kuzhambu) during school days. I love potato cubes and drumstick soaked well in kuzhambu.
- Which dish of yours you like the best?
Tough question! Puli kuzhambu. I make it with the vadagam given by Amma and the taste can never go bad. This is Adi’s favorite dish too. Otherwise, I am not very confident about my food’s taste as they differ every time. One thing I can say is the dish cooked in hurry tastes better.
- Which dish of yours your family likes the best?
Adi – Puli kuzhambu, Poha
M – Beans usili and it keeps changing. Lucky me, he doesn’t have high demands with food. He will eat anything I cook so it is hard to find out his favorite. All he needs is food at home and doesn’t care what it is.
LHB – Yet to figure out. Oh my spinach dal kootu rice 🙂
FIL named my dosa as Ani’s dosa and will declare that we will make Ani dosa when guests come home. I used to make dosa very crispy in non-stick tawa and it was very new for him.
Amma liked my chinese style egg noodles and Poha.
- What is your favorite street food?
India – kothu parota/masala dosa
US – Chicken gyro
- Tell us about any of your kitchen disaster story.
It is easy to say if there is one or two. Every day is almost a disaster.
The fish curry that smelled like fish market after cooking and had to be dumped. This happened when guests were invited for lunch. But I put the blame on the quality of the fish. It was hard to dump a pot full of freshly made curry right off the stove.
First attempt on kozhukattai. I got so fed up that I mixed the dough and pooranam together and made patties.
First attempt on gulab jamun – Kept the flame high. So, it turned pitch black very soon with inside uncooked.
Fish fry – I didn’t know how to place the marinated fish in hot oil and oil was splashed on my hands. M’s friend who came home for lunch taught me how to place it in with help of wide spatula. He then waited patiently to eat it too
And the list goes on and on…
- Any one or two food confessions 😉 😉
I love to drink something hot often. I stopped coffee and tea is occasional. So, I either drink bournvita or hot water. Even at office, I always drink hot water.
I love thanjavur asoka (green gram dal halwa), dry gulab jamun, adhirasam and fried cashew nuts.
Like Vidhya, I love cerelac too. Bought a tin just for myself when in college 🙂
- Apart from basic stuff, like milk, yogurt, veggies what you have in your fridge or in pantry? (Name any 3 items)
Pasta sauce, Dosa batter, Cheese
- Any food related or cooking resolutions for this year?
Every year it has been to eat less outside and it is going good so far. I pack lunch for all of us almost every day except for LHB as he eats in school. Adi orders at school 1 or 2 times a month.
- In our custom when you goto Kasi, you need to give up one of your favorite veggie and fruit. So you cannot eat that veggie or fruit from then on. Which one you would you give up? (It should be your favorite one)
Potato. I like potato in any form (preferably cooked) but not sure if I can really give it up!
- You need to prepare a 3 course meal for a party? What dishes will be there in your menu?
Dosa/ coconut chutney
Wheat rava pongal with araithu vitta Sambar
Veg fried rice
Rava kesari/Semiya payasam.
If its for lunch, I will skip Pav bhaji/dosa and make white rice, rasam, chicken curry, appalam instead.