Also called as Bitter gourd curry/kuzhambu
I cook bitter gourd for M but have never tasted it in my whole life. I am very serious about this. I had a big aversion for bitter gourd but this recipe changed it all so much that I licked it from the bowl and couldn’t wait to make it next time. Even kids ate it.
We couldn’t taste the bitterness at all and it was super yummy.
Try this recipe and finger licking is guaranteed.
Bitter gourd – 3 or 4
Tamarind – lemon size (soak in warm water)
Channa dal – 3/4 cup
Onion – 2
Tomato – 2
Chilli powder – 1 spoon
Coriander powder – 1 spoon
Turmeric powder – 1/2 spoon
Salt – to taste
Sugar – 1 or 2 spoon – to taste
Toor dal – 2 spoons
Peppercorns – 1/2 spoon
Jeera – 1/2 spoon
Channa dal – 1/2 spoon
Dry red chillies – to taste
Grated coconut – 2 spoons
Split urad dal
1. Cut bitter gourd into small pieces, remove seeds and shallow fry in oil till they turn slightly brown and keep aside
2. Pressure cook channa dal and keep aside
3. Dry roast and grind the items given under “To grind” section into a paste and keep aside
4. In a pan, saute items given under “Tadka” section in same order and keep cooking
5. Add garlic, onion, tomato in same order and continue to cook till they are well cooked and blended
6. Add chilli powder, coriander power, turmeric power, salt and cook well until the raw smell of all powders are gone.
7. Add tamarind water and bring it to boil
8. Add shallow fried bitter gourd, ground paste, cooked chana dal and continue to cook till they all blend together.
9. Finally, add some kind of sugar (cane sugar/jaggery/white sugar) and turn off the stove.
Serve it with rice/roti
Audio version that I shared with some of my friends (whatever good we know, we have to share it no?)
I apologize ahead to all non-tamil readers as the audio is in Tamil