Friday, the PTA meet for the boy went better than expected. There are challenges and rooms for improvements which we will get evaluated and work on but overall what stood out of the meet for me was the teacher said he is sweet boy being nice to everyone. That, she can match him with any group of kids for activities and he hesitates to express when he doesn’t like something. I understand he has to be more expressive but the thought that he hesitates to hurt others made me feel good. I wish my sunshine to shine bright with kindness and happiness always. He can be a rowdy to me, just me. I will take it 🙂
I am super sleepy but have two days of random updates to post here. Let me just get done with it before it slips away from my mind.
- Adi made masala chai for us on Friday evening. Pakka stove top Indian milk masala chai from start to finish for the first time. So from now I can nag her officially when I don’t feel like making it for myself.
- Kids had pizza for dinner yesterday and I sneaked one slice too. Nothing can beat a slice of pizza. I tell ya!!
- I started with my work at 9pm last night and had to continue with it till 6am today fire fighting one issue after the other with a bunch of people on call all the time. The funny part was we unintentionally took turns to power nap and the rest continued to work. Glad that the task finally got done by 6am today morning.
- I went to bed at 6:30am and woke up at 2pm while M engaged the kids. He took care of their breakfast, lunch, took them out to classes and weekly shopping.
- Today was the first snow of this season. First snow is always magical but the days following that are scary. I am super scared of black ice on curbs and roads.
- Due to weather conditions, Today Adi’s very important test and LHB’s Tamil class were cancelled. I was more happier than him about his Tamil class cancellation as today he was supposed to say a kuppan, suppan “aabathil udhava nanban” story in Tamil. All he says as of now is kuppan, suppan. I have no idea about how to make him tell a story in Tamil. As if this is not enough, next week he has to make a family tree project and say it loud each relationship in front of class. Sigh!! I don’t see this happening so already made up my mind to put him in same level next year too. I highly doubt he will pass current level this year.
- Today, I made cauliflower rice no carbs biriyani for us and vegetable biriyani for kids. The cauliflower rice biriyani came out pretty decent. I made both versions very spicy though. More details and recipe are saved for a later post.
- Also, made cardboard guitar for LHB. More details to follow later.
- Friday was the first day I missed daily target of 10k steps since 1st Dec. Hope to make up for it next week.
- Adi’s PTA on Thursday evening was a breeze. Met a fellow mom who was praising Adi non stop and I actually started feeling odd after a point. Couldn’t be more proud of my sincere dedicated girl.
- I gathered the courage to talk to Adi about her “new” elective on Friday. She seems to accept it quickly and move on. She has made some friends in the new class and having couple of events coming up this month.
- One of her crazy after school class schedule has come to an end last week. The girl is super happy about it and now struggling to figure out how to spend all that free hours.
- Christmas tree was put up by the trio today while I was sleeping. I openly asked Adi to give me choices (no more playing secret Santa with her) and her choices were cookies, cakes, chocolates and candies 🙂
- LHB said he will tell it secretly to Santa as what he wants *rolls eyes*. When I told him I will recommend to Santa to keep him in nice list he said with a firm face that nobody can talk to Santa. Santa only gives gifts, he doesn’t talk or listen to anyone, not even to Amma’s. Fair point!
- I am not able to watch a 2 hour movie fully. Both times I tried to watch some movie, I dozed off in the middle and woke up for the climax. Getting old?????
Today, I was not in great mood during bedtime and LHB sensed this and said all that his little brain could think of to make me feel better.
Amma, I want to tell you something that can make you feel better
- Santa is going to give you a nice gift.
- Ask for something green okay? anything that you like an earring or anything in green.
- I am talking softly Amma so you will feel better.
- I am being polite to you.
- Akka whispering in his ears (Say I love you Amma. You are the best mother in this whole world)
- Akka say something nice to Amma to make her feel better.
- I will tell “happy birthday” on your birthday and will get you a nice gift ok?
- See Amma I hug you tight. does that make you feel better?
If sad tears can switch gears to happy tears. It is this moment. He did win in making me feel better and nice about myself.
What more can I ask for? I am blessed. I don’t even care if the whole world conspires against me, I have two little souls that can save me and make me feel nice and worth living every second of my life. God bless you my dear kiddos.
Amma will make a special breakfast tomorrow my darlings. And for that she has to go to bed now so she can wake up early to do the preparations.
I can even bring the moon down for you guys but for now let’s settle with a yummy breakfast deal?
P.S: Adi – I spoke to Ammachi and got to know how to make world’s best potato fry that you enjoyed from her kitchen during summer. All that is left to do now is for Amma is try it tomorrow and hold my breath with fingers and toes crossed for your verdict.
P.P.S: Today has been a long day and I am super tired. I haven’t blog hopped yet. I am sorry. Will read all my favorite bloggers very soon.
P.P.P.S: We cancelled today’s potluck to support the terrible loss of the colleague’s family. I was the one to initiate the plan and was coordinating with people for past two weeks about this surprise welcome party for the newly wedded couple. But, this cancellation strengthens my belief that no matter how much effort we put in, the final decision always remains with super power.
This Sunday, the girls had their weekly club meet at our home. As usual I sat by the dining table at the corner of living room and watched the girls multi tasking as in chit chat, practice, make props but mostly chit chat 🙂
It was an afternoon well spent but it got dragged as they had to complete some giant props. M jumped in to help and it went on beyond 8pm. That means its the boy and me again left alone at home. I kept him engaged with interactive learning websites and made a craft with him. No TV 🙂
It was a walking robot. Our first official completed craft. He has matured in following instructions so making this craft was not as painful as earlier when we always gave up in the middle as he messes up craft work area. This time we were able to complete the craft though it was alive for only few minutes.
I am happy for 2 reasons. 1. We completed the craft. 2. I took the pic in that 1.5 minutes it lasted after completion 🙂
It reminded me of all those craft sessions with Adi when she was of same age as LHB now. We have done so many crafts. Looking forward to more craft sessions with my little honey bun.
For those interested, here is the video we followed for this craft.
Note: Not ending today with great spirits but its okay. I will overcome this as well. Thanking God for all the strength I have been blessed with and helping me to move in constructive direction. It is a thin line and I am glad to be on the constructive side. Just a small slip and I will fall deep down that even I cannot help myself. But, I am not going to slip. I am not. I have my principles and values rooted very deep and strong that will hold me high and away from negative forces. I am glad to have found my way out and all I have to do is just hold on to it real tight. I will.
Today was mostly LHB and me at home while the father and girl were out. We did some reading, played interactive learning games online and he took a good nap. Such a good nap that he even pee-ed on the bed 😉 I caught up on some of gilmore girls while he was napping.
The highlight was the chit chat we had when he was eating dosa for dinner. He sat on the table enjoying ghee roast with red spicy chutney while I was serving them hot off the tawa. A moment I will cherish forever as a mother. He complimented the chutney and demanded to make dosa more crispier. Where did my baby go that was fed until yesterday while being engaged with TV?
He has grown up so much in last one week. Seriously, hearing all big man talks for past few days like cutting deals with me in a serious tone, asking me for my choices, using new words, giving uninvited suggestions to his Akka and Appa while they are seriously discussing something. Some of his frequently used sentences/words are
you are making me nervous
its annoying ma
wait a second, when did…
YESSSS!!! I knew it! I knew it!
enjoyyyyy!!! (we were in splits when he said this when I was about to go to the bathroom)
guys, do this guys, do this
listen to me! listen to me! (with hands stretched out)
I am not good at this. I told you!!
He is the sunshine of my life making me feel light and help me shake it off quickly on days I wake up from wrong side of the bed. Be it anytime of the day or no matter of the situation I am surrounded with, when I think of this little blessing of mine an instant smile and warmth wraps around me and I say a quick prayer and thank God for this precious gift.
As first thing today morning we spoke about what are we thankful for.
Adi in no time said she is thankful for FFF – Food, Family and Friends. I couldn’t agree more. I am thankful for the same too.
Craft activity with LHB. We made some puppets.
LHB’s afternoon nap. A long and satisfied one after many days. Adi read books to him and we both stayed in bed until he dozed off.
Movie watching in the afternoon.
Dance performance by a friend’s daughter at a local temple.
Have not been a great day with both physical and mental tiredness. Today is one of those days I really have to pull myself up and count my blessings to keep moving.
Being busy is good for a person like me. Mind is pre-occupied and I don’t get attracted by negative energy. It is okay if I don’t get to do what I would like to do, I have at least been blessed with the strength to accept reality and face it with courage.
It is not easy to just go with the flow when the flow is not of your choice. That requires humongous mental strength and effort.
Work is not helping either. I have a 2 hour call tomorrow, yes on Friday and have to prepare for that. Sat down after loading/starting the dish washer to finish the boring prep work but here I am ranting instead!!
Happy quotients of the day:
# 1 – LHB received his first official appreciation from school for being an awesome letter detective for letter M. We wrote M on a sheet, glued pictures of some objects that start with M and read a book that had M all over it. He took them all to school today along with a mitten.
# 2 – Adi’s friend (our neighbor) spent the evening at our home. The girls wrapped up their homework together and I made crispy cone dosas for their dinner. Whipped up a quick tomato chutney to go with it. Adi’s friend mentioned she loves crispy dosas and likes them hot. I felt much happier dishing out those hot dosas. It reminded me of the days Amma used to feed my friends.
# 3 – LHB didn’t watch any TV in the evening today. Thanks to Adi’s friend who distracted him most of the time and then it was bedtime after she left. So, today is one of those rare days he didn’t watch TV 🙂
That unique smell when you enter temple spreads an instant happiness all over the body and mind and makes you feel very serene. Visited temple as a family today after a long time and experienced that happiness.
LHB was my little helper to grind idli batter today. He measured, added the salt to batter and helped clean up. Big boy even carried some stuff for me. We have poured the batter in a clear case container and marked its position with green marker to see how it raises up after fermentation process.
LHB TV watching has been brought under control. Happy mommy 🙂 🙂
*Reality check* happy mommy as long as it lasts!!!