This dish has become my favorite in recent times and repeating at our household every other week. This is a recipe from my cook aunty.
For this weekend, she came today evening and my grocery list for this week included Gongura just so that I can kill two birds with one stone. Can relish the chutney for next week and can get away with the post today 🙂
To grind: (fistful of each)
Urad dal (split)
Onion – 1
Tomato (optional) – 1/2
Garlic – 4-5 pods
Gongura leaves – 1 bunch
1. Remove gongura leaves from its stem and wash it thoroughly.
2. Saute the items under “To grind” and then grind them coarsely.
3. Saute onion in a separate pan until it turns translucent, then add tomato, garlic and gongura leaves one by one. Continue to saute until they all are cooked.
4. Add the items from #2 to the mixer with already ground items and do a quick pulse. Don’t make it like a paste. The consistency should be as shown in the final picture. It is ok if few onion pieces are not ground well. In tamil they say “onnum renduma araichikko” (Translation: Grind coarsely. Its ok if some ingredients are not ground like a paste)
5. Do tadka with the items given under “For tadka” list.
Yummilicious gongura chutney it ready to be served with rice/roti or as bread spread or to eat as it is.
And my small attempt for a food photography 🙂